Monday, April 03, 2006

Vikki

"In these days of Lenten journey
we have seen and we have heard,
the call to sow justice
in the lives of those we serve."

I looked up from my desk. There, in the doorway, stood a woman...crumpled clothes, hair uncombed, a black eye.
I could barely hear her as she spoke, so I stood up, walked over close, and asked her to repeat what she had said.
"We're looking for a place to stay."
"Who's 'we'?"
"My husband and me."


"We reach out to those who are homeless,
to those who live without warmth.
In the coolness of evening we'll shelter their dreams;
we will clothe them in mercy and peace."

"That's quite a black eye."
"Yeah, he gave it to me a few days ago. But he was stressed. We've been traveling alot. I'm trying to turn over a new leaf. We're getting along better now."
"Do you feel safe? We can get you to a safe place. He won't know where you are."
"I'm okay. We're getting along better now."


"We open our ears to the weary
and hear the cry of the poor.
To the voices that echo
the song of despair,
we will show our compassion and care."


Phone calls, conversation with Vikki, with her husband...it's been a long and dangerous relationship; she spent a long time in jail; her parents are so afraid of her husband that they moved and won't tell her where they live, they send her phone cards so she can call and let them know she's alive; her family has helped time and again, they're worn out and sad; she says, "My mental illness complicates things."


We call on the Spirit of Justice
and pray for righteousness' sake.
we will sing for the freedom of all the oppressed;
we will loosen the bonds of distress."


"Being stressed is no reason for anyone to hit someone else. Are you sure you're okay? We can get you to a safe place."
Almost, almost, I think.
He comes in to check on her. Excuses from him for why they can't leave town, why they need more nights lodging. Finally, all avenues exhausted and Vikki getting scared and withdrawn I ask if gas money would help.
"Yes," he says.
"Okay, I'll call the sheriff's office and tell them you're on the way. That's where you go for the gas money."
"Uh, no, I think we have enough gas to get to Cheyenne."
They walk away. She turns around and comes back. Did she change her mind?
No, but she says, "Thank you", and hugs me - and leaves.

With some work, one night of lodging had been wrestled out for them. The next morning they drove away, together, stressed.



"That night didn't do any good, did it?" Comment from another after they had gone.


"Whatever happens in life to open up our natures to the tenderness of life is redemptive." Bernard Meland

"Relating is at the heart of what is redemptive, and what may bring about the transformation of the world." Mary Grey

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." Aesop

"Be kind - everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." John Watson

-song lyrics from In These Days of Lenten Journey, by Ricky Manalo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home